Tuesday, December 27, 2005

The Smoking Dilemma

Let'’s talk about smoking.

Normally, I would say of myself that I generally subscribe to an anarchist'’s point of view -– I don'’t need a judge to tell me what is right and what is wrong, and oh, by the way, get out of my face. People should be able to do what they want as long as it does not impinge on another'’s freedom to do the same.

When I smoked, there was nothing that riled me more than some goody two shoes who thought they could take away my right to light up when and where I wanted to. When I quite smoking, I vowed that I would never turn into that person. That was thirty-five years ago.

I would like to think that I have grown some in that period of time (and no, I'’m not talking about the waist). I have had to rethink my earlier position and here is what I now believe.

Folks should have the right to do what they want as long as it does not impinge on another'’s right to do the same.

Hmmm, looks familiar -– no? Problem is, smokers just can'’t do it.

What would you think if when you went down to the local pub with some friends on Friday night and every time your buddy on the left finished a beer, he would toss his cookies all over the table, your lap, your face, and even splash some into the beer you were just now raising to your lips? Would you:

A. Punch him out?
B. Punch him out and leave?
C. Stop going to the pub with him?
D. Suggest that he limit himself to intake and forgo the oral output?
E. All of the above?

If people could smoke without sharing the process with those around them, no one would complain (let'’s ignore the medical costs to society here. That'’s another kettle of fish.), but so far, no one has come up with a process that does that.

So, in my book, someone who smokes around anyone who objects violates my cardinal Rule of Freedom. For that reason, I am in favor of a complete ban on smoking in any public place. Let those who smoke do so freely in private (homes, clubs, private transport), but let those of us who choose not to smoke exercise our right to do so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home