Saturday, January 21, 2006

That Sinking Feeling

New Orleans is back in the news. Much ado about what the federal government did or did not promise; did or did not do. You know the drill. Is it just me, or does any of this strike you as a bit strange? I like New Orleans. I really do. That city knows how to party down. It has an atmosphere of its own – kind of a “devil may care” freedom from prohibition, if you will. Might have something to do with knowing that the “not too distant sea is looming about three feet over your “hurricane slurping” puss at any given moment. It’s a great place to visit.

But, is it a great place to live? Maybe, but should I pay you to live there? Noooooo, I don’t think so. But that’s just what the displaced New Orleanians are asking me to do. There is great hew and cry about how the American taxpayers should help to rebuild a city that is built below sea level (not all of it, granted, but a bunch). Is this really a smart thing to do?

I don’t have anything against fools that want to build their house in a flood zone, in hurricane alley, or on the edge of an unstable sea-side cliff. If someone wants to build a straw house in the middle of a tinder-dry patch that regularly suffers from wildfires – go for it I say. But don’t come running to me when it burns down and ask me to cough up so you can rebuild the damn thing in the same spot.

Why should New Orleans be any different? Why should we rebuild a city, or a portion of a city in a hole below sea level in the middle of a known hurricane path? What about this makes any sense? If you want to live there, knock yourself out, but foot the bill on your own. You want my money? I will happily give it to you when I stroll down the boulevard sipping that “hurricane” or when I ride your streetcar; for services rendered in other words. Not so you can build a house that will once again get soaked and ruined.

Just my two bits.

P.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home