Friday, April 28, 2006

Gas Pains

Contrary to popular opinion, I believe gas prices should be raised, not lowered, in the US. We are a nation of junkies, addicted to cheap hydrocarbons and our greed and need have made for a lifestyle that is doomed. Why in hell should we gleefully skip down this descending path to ruin? I suspect it is because we are growing progressively dumber as a population (see my previous post here), plus we find ourselves locked into an "automotive" society that requires extensive use of the automobile to function. What I do know is that this cannot continue.

This is why I find it so repulsive when our "leaders" bravely take stands to lower the cost of gasoline for the poor suffering American. Our "leaders" who have solid financial connections to that very oil industry and have every incentive to keep the American driver firmly addicted to the black goo. And what is even harder to listen to is the constant whining of Joe Public who stands there mainlining liquid heroin into his Behemothmobile so that he can go screaming off onto the concrete arterials of the suburban wasteland.

I think that if you are not driving a vehicle that gets at least 35 mpg, driving 55 mph or lower on the freeway, or commuting via bicycle, you have no right to complain. I put those restrictions on myself as well. My car doesn't get great mileage (bout 20-23 avg) and I like speed more than the average guy, but I don't sit around complaining about gas prices. Last I checked, we still have the cheapest gas around by far. In other places of the world, it is the equivalent of $4 to $5 a gallon at the pump and it will just keep going up.

The whining we are now hearing is just the start of a giant sucking sound that will only grow in magnitude as the slumbering giant of China and their mini-me cousin India slowly awake and begin to gradually open the valves that will divert more and more resources into their hungry and insatiable maws. Joe Public, you have no idea of what is coming. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

P.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home